Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
- R 185
Yakuza Kiwami – a remake of the original PS2 classic – is coming to PS4. Revisit the roots of SEGA’s much-loved open-world crime sim.
It’s time to go back to where Kazuma Kiryu – the Dragon of Dojima’s story all began, as Yakuza Kiwami is coming to PlayStation 4 in 2017! And by “where it all began”, we mean the actual first entry in the series and not the prequel Yakuza 0.
Yakuza Kiwami is a ground-up remake of the original Yakuza game, which first released on the PlayStation 2 back in 2005. And by remake, we can reveal that “Kiwami” literally translates to “EXTREME!!1ONE!”, and here’s how Yakuza Kiwami turns remakes on their heads:
- ALL the in-game graphics are redone for the PlayStation 4. And it's not some shady up-rezzes of existing art. Graphics are completely redone for the 1080p/60fps PlayStation 4 environment.
- The audio lines are re-recorded by the original cast (in Japanese). Astute fans may recall the US version of Yakuza being the only Yakuza game with a well-intentioned English dub, but given the complexity and uniqueness of the yakuza dialect, Kiwami exclusively has the original Japanese voices, re-recorded with the experience of the many Yakuza games since 2005!
- You like combat? Boom! The combat in Yakuza Kiwami has been upgraded to the furious and fast combat style of Yakuza 0, where Kiryu can change stances on the fly to chain together combos and pull off the outrageously devastatingly satisfying Heat Actions the game is known for!
- Substories! Finding substories (side missions) has become commonplace in the generations since Yakuza’s release, but were a bit obscure or difficult to find back in 2005. That’s been fully revamped now, with a clear delineation between the critical path missions and some of the quirky off-shoots of the main story.
- Majima Everywhere. Majima, the one-eyed, mad-as-a-hatter psychopath of the Yakuza series takes on the role of the protagonist’s sworn nemesis. And to punctuate that in Kiwami, there’s a new system where he pops out of the most random of places for impromptu encounters. We're talking “pops out of a manhole” levels of ridiculous, which is what makes it so great.
If that wasn’t enough (and if you’re not familiar with the overwhelming amount of content in a Yakuza game, well, you’re in for a treat), we’ve added in some new diversions to spice up the streets of Kamurocho, including: Pocket Circuit car racing, MesuKing: Battle Bug Beauties, new hostesses, and more.
So, to recap where we are – Yakuza Kiwami includes new graphics, new voice, new combat, better mission/quality of life improvements, and a roaming nemesis. Sounds good, right? Well, we’re barely scratching the surface:
For Yakuza fans since the original who know this game backwards, forwards and inside out! Don’t fret! Because in addition to all the other things we’ve added, there’s also ~30 minutes of new cutscenes to add in some interesting character depth for the game’s critical path (main story), and best of all – the story adds in some threads that help tie in Yakuza 0!
- Video Games
- 5 Sep 2017
- PlayStation 4
- Steelbook Edition
- SEGA Europe
- 18 LNV
- SA Gamer
Duration: 01:07Resolution: 640 x 360Codec: H.264Duration: 01:25Resolution: 640 x 360Codec: H.264
- Announcement Trailer
- Story Trailer
- Supply Source
- South Africa
Tony Tzung Lin L on (Verified Buyer)Reviewed by